Travelogue: Work. Travel. Write. Repeat.: Touchdown! Day 1 at Bangkok Thailand - Suvarnabhumi Airport, MRT Coins, Thai Cuisine & Shopping in Pratunam

Touchdown! Day 1 at Bangkok Thailand - Suvarnabhumi Airport, MRT Coins, Thai Cuisine & Shopping in Pratunam

Recently, my girlfriend and I went to Thailand for a 4 day vacation. The trip was actually booked on the 27th of January but due to the rising tension of the Anti-Government Protesters and Shinawatra Supporters, our trip was re-scheduled on the 13th of February and onwards. Unlike what we saw on the news, the situation in BKK during our stay went okay. Though, there were many areas that were not accessible because spots were near the protesters base camps. 


I'll try my best to remember the details of our trip and hopefully you'll get the picture.

Day 1: Not much has happened really on our first day but because it was our first out of the country trip together as a couple, everything is an adventure!

Arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport
The last time I traveled outside the country was 7 years ago, and to tell you honestly I'm not used to long flights. I always have this weird imagination going in my nutshell and it doesn't matter whether it's domestic or international flights, it always felt like the same plane to me. 

Anyway, here's my picture at the Suvarnabhumi Airport and Yeah, I'm alive!!! \m/


Off to Baiyoke Boutique Hotel
Our hotel is located in Pratunam which is just right at the back of the infamous Baiyoke Sky Hotel. We decided to take the Airport Rail Link going to Ratchaprarop Station which was just near to our destination. Thailand's MRT facilities is very much incomparable to what we have here in the Philippines. 


There facilities are very clean and the people who use it are very respectful and disciplined. (How I wish it also applies in Manila.) Anyway, the MRT pass costs for about 80 Baht going to Ratchaprarop and it is a coin like ticket. Pretty Cool!

When we arrived in Ratchaprarop, we took a 15 minute walk going to our hotel and it was really hot. We almost got lost in the down town area but good thing someone guided us along the way until we get to the hotel. 

For those people who chooses the Airport Rail Link as your transport going to the station near your hotel, I suggest you take a 'Tuktuk' or 'Taxi' once you get off the station. You may not want carrying your heavy luggages around. There are taxi services just outside the stations and all you need to do is present them the name of your hotel and they will bring you there. If you think you'll often use a taxi as a source of transportation in your vacation, I recommend you get a copy of your hotel's business card or at least ask the receptionist to write down the exact address in a piece of paper, this will be your guide and source of communication to locals who doesn't speak your language. 




Brunch time!
After a 3 hour flight and maybe an hour travel going to the hotel, we were excited for our brunch! They say Thai cuisine is one of the best and you'll definitely agree when you taste it! We went to a food court type of place - a very cheap one, but really delicious! The food was great! And because my girlfriend loves spicy delicacies, we are in the perfect place to spend our vacation!















I guess eating never stops in Bangkok! As we were surveying the area to check out what Pratunam has to offer for tourists, I saw this food stall selling Japanese sushi and maki. Whew! My girlfriend knows how much I love sushi and I can't help myself but buy a few. 


Here's a picture of me enjoying my box of sushi & maki! Yum Yum! 


After we had our brunch we decided to check out the room and just relax for a couple of minute before we head again outside. 




What to do next?
How funny it was because we never really had plans on our 1st day. While we were at the Hotel's lobby, I saw this guy, his name is Sung, and he works in a travel agency. He presented me some of their tour packages and they were nice. What we availed, if I'm not mistaken, was package 2 at 1200 Baht. 

Our tour package were as follows:

  • Shuttle service
  • Floating Market
  • Elephant Village
  • Buffet lunch at Sampran
  • Cultural show
  • Royal Thai Handicraft Center
  • GEMS Gallery
We were scheduled the following day and our call time will be at six in the morning.

After we booked our tour and the small chit-chat with Sung, we were still undecided where to go... Since we were new in Bangkok, we just let our feet take us wherever it goes. 


Walking at the Pratunam Market!

Pratunam Market is one of Bangkok's largest clothing market and you'll definitely enjoy looking around and see interesting items including street foods.

Speaking of street food, we saw a vendor selling a longganisa type on stick. Don't know what it's called but it was really irresistible not to buy.. take a look at the photo below.




It tastes like the longganisa we have in the Philippines, but when mixed with ginger, spicy sauce and cabbage? Boooooom!!! It is something! 
  
My girlfriend seems to enjoy it! (Can I have that last piece, please?) LOL





Somewhere in Pratunam you'll also find the Platinum mall and it's like the Greenhills of Thailand. You can purchase good quality and cheap items in wholesale here.



My girl friend bought some pretty nice dresses and sports wear, but as for me a cheap coat and printed shirts were enough for my day 1 shopping.





















Unlike the malls in the Philippines, mall hours in Bangkok are until 7:30 PM only. It's to early for panic buying so we just decided to went back to our hotel.


On our way back, we met a couple who happened to be tourists as well. I took few shots of them and as courtesy took a photo of ours. HAHA We never really had the chance to get their names but still, thanks for this wonderful shot!
























That's pretty much it on our day 1! Awesome! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment